Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Inspirational Quote of the Day


“Opposition turns up almost anyplace something good has happened. It can happen when you are trying to get an education. It can hit you after your first month in your new mission field. It certainly happens in matters of love and marriage. … There are cautions and considerations to make, but once there has been genuine illumination, beware the temptation to retreat from a good thing. If it was right when you prayed about it and trusted it and lived for it, it is right now. Don’t give up when the pressure mounts. … Face your doubts. Master your fears. ‘Cast not away therefore your confidence.’ Stay the course and see the beauty of life unfold for you.” (Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, “Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence,” Brigham Young University devotional address, March 2, 1999.)

I came across this quote from Jeffrey R. Holland today and I liked it. I really believe this is true--there is opposition in all things--especially when something good has happened--but if we go forward with faith and what we know is right and true, we can find confidence in the direction of the Holy Ghost and in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. They have great and wonderful things in store for each of us as we faithfully endure the trials and opposition we encounter in this life.

It makes me think of the first week of my mission in the MTC. At one point I really felt discouraged and thought that maybe I shouldn't be serving a mission and wasn't fit to be a missionary. However, I had already made countless prayers before leaving and received a confirmation that this was what I should be doing. I realized that I had already received my answer that I should be a on a mission and that I needed to go forward with greater faith. I'm so grateful I did. So many great things happened because I stayed. Looking back I can see all the blessings I received because I didn't let fear overtake me and give up. I know that opposition will turn up throughout our lives but as we follow the Spirit we can overcome anything.

1 comment:

Shahani Gazmin said...

....and one of those many, many blessings is when you were homed with Silva and Gazmin. haha miss you girl and I love love love this entry!:)