Sunday, December 1, 2013

THAI OR DIE: Nike 1/2 Marathon, Bangkok and Chiang Mai

So recently I went to Thailand and it was AWESOME. I went with 3 girlfriends from the Bay Area. Ale--went to Europe with her last year. We travel awesome together and often get into funny situation. Beth--met her in San Francisco. She's so much fun and will keep you up late talking and wake you up early talking. Karaoke is one of her favorite past times and she's someone you definitely want to bring to a dance party. Adriana--we share a mutual love of Ryan Gosling and DJ Ting (you'll find out who this is later). She's always down for dancing, laughing, and one of the co-founders of Pool Club 2013 and Adventure Club. Also, always has amazing hair...even in Thailand! I was impressed.

Before Thailand I ran the Nike Women's Half Marathon. Since moving to Utah, I've let my run training slip a little so I was a little nervous, but I shaved 3 minutes off my time from last year! So that was awesome. I ran it with my best running buddy Elizabeth. She's amazing and did awesome. I was SO sore after and was worried about being on a plane for 22 hours, but I was still SO excited.

got to see butters before i left!

and this cute little dog my brother was babysitting

Tradition to lay out my running outfit the night before

best friends xoxo

Got to go on the new Bay Bridge for the first time!

The start line in Union Square

The start was soooo early this year. Had to wake up at 3:30am to get there in time!


No Ryan Gosling, but they'll do



The reward: a Tiffany's necklace

Famous.


i was excited.

OK...on to Thailand! It was a fun group and we had a blast. It felt like I was in a picture the whole time. It was SO beautiful. The highlights of the trip were riding elephants, hugging tigers, swimming and hanging out at the amazing beaches, and making new friends from all around the world.

We started in Bangkok. Arrived around midnight and took a taxi to our hotel to find I had booked the wrong night. oopsies! Luckily they were able to change our reservation around and we had a place to stay. phew! We spent the day sightseeing and got scammed into taking a Tuk Tuk ride around the city to see temples and buddah's and getting dropped off at several jewelry shops, etc. That was the scam. We fell right into it. Oh well! You live, you learn. We met some friends at the mall and headed to our bus to Chiang Mai.
Ale and I showed up wearing practically the same thing #bestfriends

comparing backpack sizes


i actually love flying international. they feed you soooo much and you get to watch movies the whole time and just fall asleep whenever you want? it's awesome! minus the fact that you are sitting for so long and my ankle swelled up to the size of my calf! =0
arrived! ankles swollen, tired, and excited!

TIM TAM drinks. 


Thaiwinners

My first thai meal in Thailand...at a food court in Bangkok. It was delicious.

a big buddha and me

inside a temple






The Grand Palace
We had to rent these wraps to get inside



twins!


tuk tuk riding
our hotel


at the mall!


Our crazy tuk tuk ride. one word: scammed

guy releasing birds for good luck



We were going to take a night train but they are doing maintenance on tracks and we would have had to transfer to a bus half way through. They convinced us to take a bus that will get there much faster and more directly. So we did. The seats reclined, but we got on at 8:30pm and would arrive in Chiang Mai at 5:30 am. Those seats were NOT comfortable for a night bus ride. I tried to sleep as best I could. At midnight, we made a stop and I seriously though it had been 8 hours and we were there. It was the worst news I've ever heard when one of the girls said "it's only midnight". I wanted to die.

We made it to Chiang Mai and it was great. We saw tigers, monkeys, and elephants. Seriously, SO surreal. Pictures say it best.

bus rides! we love em. #couplesretreat

cooking class. seriously my most favorite meal!

cooking class

we went hiking and it started pouring! it was fun though!


soaked.

that's my leg. this monkey was SO FUNNY. haha



with our cooking class instructor. she was so cute. we'll never forget the phrase "sexy the toilet". You can ask me later what that means.

a lion!

our hotel lobby







little babies!




























he told me to pretend to bite his tail

i thought this was funny

but i did it anyways!































cutest little baby tiger









monkey time!



doing tricks


definitely not vaccinated for this



























probably the happiest moment of my life.












ale LOVES waterfalls heehee 


























spring rolls!

green curry!
OK. my favorite part of the trip thus far was the elephant farm. it was AMAZING. we were 'elephant owners' for a day. my elephant's name was Lucky. She was 9 months pregnant! we took care of them, made sure they were healthy--aka checked their poop! washed them--got in the water with them, rode them, ate lunch, met a baby elephant. it was so cool. i admit i was slightly terrified the whole time being that high up on a somewhat wild animal. my life was in the hands of lucky the elephant. luckily, hehe, it was okay! Ale had a few run ins with a baby elephant who was 4 1/2 days old! hahaha it was soooo funny. pictures below. Anyway, they gave us a CD of pictures at the end and believe me, there are a lot of unflattering pictures but I'm too lazy to go through them, so they are all here! Picture overload below:














Meeting my elephant--Lucky. She was 9 1/2 months pregnant!

she was smaller than the others because she was younger, so i was happy!












































































































































































































































More of trip coming soon!



No comments: